Tuesday, January 27, 2015

100,000 Kingdoms

For what little I read of the first of a trilogy, It was definitely something I wouldn't finish. It has the same plot as most young adult novels with fancy names. The typical, main female character is thrown into something they don't care for and it seems like everyone is out to get them in one way or another. Examples being how the 2 other heirs are trying to kill her, all the Arani (?) hate her, and the gods want to help her for a price. Then the reason to go to Sky was to figure out her mothers murder. So, at least there's a lot going on in the story... For not getting far, I do wonder if she resolves all the questions it opened.

Then the whole thing with the Nahadoth and how he was chasing her but then kisses her before he "dies" was where I had to draw the line. I even did some research and found out it was originally called "The Sky-God's Lover". So you can already guess what one of the plot points are. As much as I love fantasy, this wasn't my cup of tea. I enjoyed Divergent more than this one, actually. Especially since the main characters always have more to offer in the end because of some connection.

But thinking of it as a young adult reader who is eager to read something with magic, action, and romance, then this is a good read. It's like fanfiction, where it's just a guilty pleasure that young readers can enjoy. It's not bad, in fact it is written better than most young adult novels I have read. The concept, however, is very cliché no matter how much she dresses it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment